nowhere

lost between now here and was there

2007-03-19

000113 - a good way to cure the blues

is to go shopping!


And no, I didn't buy a new car with fake grass all over it!

I didn't go nuts and yes, I did remember saying that I should be back to budgeting my finances more carefully since my lack of permanent employment last week. Anyway, they're all necessities, I swear!!

First, the M3DS Simply I ordered the week prior, arrived last Thursday. It's basically a card adaptor that allows you to run (homebrew) software on your Nintendo DS (Lite). It needs a MicroSD memory card in order it to work but I didn't get one of those until Friday. I got it mainly to run this homebrew, called Comic Book DS, which allows you to use the DS as a comic book reader. I've downloaded heaps of scanlated manga (most yet to be licensed in English as far as I know, like all 22 vol. of 20th Century Boys) that I've yet to find time to read, and I thought M3DS Simply and the Comic Book DS would allow me to read them on the train trips to and from work. Took me a few hours including learning how to patch the software, to get the latest version 2.1, to work on the card adaptor. And you have to convert your JPG and PNG files to a CBDS file format also but let me tell you once you get it working, it's sweeet as! It's still not as cool as holding a book in your grubby hands, but with manga that's yet to be published in English, I can read it electronically on my DS now! It's nice.

Friday, I caught up with some old QS work friends over lunch at the Old Pepper on Chapel. Had my usual favourite from there, the homemade Gnocchi (potato dumpling pasta) Col Pollo (chicken) with a cream sauce. Then dropped by Minotaur and picked up some comics, got The New Avengers #28 (go team Bendis & Yu!), 100 Bullets #81, Elephantmen #7 (self contained story by Kelly & Bachalo!), Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2 (drooling over Jae Lee's art), Blade of the Immortal #123 and DeathNote vol. 10! Later that day, I went to Officeworks and got a 1GB MicroSD memory card and a WD Passport 160 GB external portable hard drive that's on sale at the moment. Been running out of disk space on my PC with my music and manga downloads and it's good to have something to backup both my PC and Mac data now, which I only used to do with DVDRs.

Saturday, that's when I went a little bit nuts. There were at least 5 copies of Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (was I the only one who played and enjoyed Another Code?) at my local Target, so I had to get me a copy! I also brought, Tetris DS (Utada Hikaru, you better watch out!), which was on special and a copy of The Professor's Brain Trainer - Memory (should have read more reviews about this though) also on sale for me mum. After that, I also got a nice black long sleeve jumper and a skull & bones t-shirt from Jeans West because I always wanted to be a pirate! Tar me matey. Etc, etc.

Watched a few movies recently, too:
Rob-B-Hood - Jacky Chan and Louis Koo star as thieves who (kind of) accidentally steals a baby and becomes a "2 men and a baby" kind of movie. Pretty funny and entertaining overall. The ending is way over the top and over dramatic though. But it's one of those movies that you can just have a laugh at and I must admit, I haven't enjoyed much of Jacky Chan's recent movies lately until this one.

The Departed - great movie, great cast and pretty good acting. I personally thought it was a tad bit long and I guess I have some bias with having seen the original Hong Kong version, Infernal Affairs, a couple of times which is what this movie is basically a Hollywood remake of. The whole back story with the Irish background and the locale of Boston makes perfect sense but I didn't think they needed to drill it into the audience so much. Mark Wahlberg's character had some great lines and I think they were smart, although a bit too convenient, with rejigging the love interest angle of the story. I still think The Prestige was my favourite movie of 2006, and I still consider Goodfellas to be Scorsese at his best (should have won an oscar for that).

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan - this was hilarious and a riot to watch but at times I found myself wondering if I should be laughing at some of the scenes and the interviewees. It's quite disturbing how ignorant people can be, either stuck in their own comfort zones or fantasy land through arrogance or lack of education. The scene in the middle of film was the most disturbing of all I reckon.

Main Hoon Na (SBS tv) - my first full viewing of a Bollywood movie because I was curious and there wasn't anything else on TV last night. It was an interesting experience. It was about an army soldier who goes undercover at a college/university to bodyguard the daughter of the general, meanwhile he is also looking for his long lost half brother at the same school. Very corny, a lot of singing and over the top choreographed dancing. And in this movie, there a lot of Matrix and homages to John Woo action sequences, too. I did enjoy it but I'll be taking my Bollywood in small limited servings in the future.

The Break Up - wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. In fact, it's got quite a weird and depressing air about it all. The title just gives it all away I'm afraid.

Now, let me see if I can find out how much a grassy car cost...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home