nowhere

lost between now here and was there

2007-07-30

000120 - Doujicon & stuff



Last Saturday, 28 July, was Doujicon Z (2) and we had a great time! I think given our previous experience from last year and the familiarity with the place and whatnot, held in again at Monash Uni, Caulfield campus, we had less anxiety. No new comic book ready for launch this time either but Shiranui hadn't really been sold publicly since Supanova Sydney last year. In terms of sales, we sold about 31 comic books, which is more than double what I had sold last year at the inaugural Doujicon. It was also always great meeting and catching up with familiar faces as well as new ones at the con.

Got the latest issue of The Crumpleton Experiments #7 from Daniel Reed. Two of my uni friends also had tables there this year, Shaun is planning to get a full colour comic together and Tracy had her character design toys, merc and t-shirts for sale. I had a neighbour by the name of Mathew Emery of Brightspark Comics, who's originally from New Zealand and he sold some really hilariously rude and popular mini comics. He had classic titles for sale such as Stupid Slut Stories, Gay Gay Kill Kill and Sally Fucks Horses. Other purchases of fine local comics included, The List by Paul Bedford and Henry Pop (great art by Henry, reminded me a lot of my favourite mangaka, Sho-U Tojima but the pacing of the story is very sporadic and everything is just too mysterious), got Comics Face and New World War #1 from Ive Sorocuk (haven't read either but looks great and funny).

Last week I also got DeeVee 2007 (great Australian annual anthology with a very consistent and very enjoyable lineup of talented local creators), Flight Vol. 4 (great US annual anthology which I've yet to find the time to read but looks just as good as all previous collections) and Something Weird Vol. 2 (my contributor copy from Local Act Comics containing my 2006 24 hours photo murder thriller comic, Trigger).

In more personal news, it's almost 1 month since I started my new job and so far so good. Definitely a better pace and work load so far compared to the how hectic and crazy it was when I was working at the ad agency. The shorter travel distance means I don't need to get up too early and can get home quicker but I now have to deal with peak hour traffic jams and I do miss playing the DS on my commute on the train.

Movies:
Blades of Glory - Hilarious low brow stuff but that's my kinda comedy. I guess it's predictable as all get out especially with most of the characters being so caricature-like. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder together in a comedy, you can't really do wrong.
Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix - I tried my best to finish reading this book (I've started twice previously) before the movie but I'm still only half way. The movie was pretty good but not great and heaps were cut out and swapped around in this adaption compared to the book. Reading the book itself just makes me think what a whiny woe-is-me kid, Harry is. I do want to read the rest of the books still though.
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Everything about this movie is pretty good, great visuals/cinematography, great acting and fairly interesting storyline overall that's beautifully told EXCEPT the ending is so far-fetched and "out there" for me, that I don't know if I can recommend it.
The Illusionist - I really like Ed Norton in most of any movies he's been in but this wasn't that good. I guess I had The Prestige on the back of my mind, which admittedly is unfair to compare it but the similarities with the old theatre magician and period is undeniable. It's not a bad movie per say, as it has some political intrigue, beautiful visuals and has a really great musical score but most of the magic tricks are grossed over with little explanation and seem more fantasy than illusionary.

That's all for now.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home